The ASTYM System’s effectiveness is theorized to be due to the following:
- Adhesions and inappropriate fibrosis within soft tissue can result from trauma, surgery, immobilization or repetitive strain. The ASTYM System stimulates the breakdown of this dysfunctional tissue and allows functional restoration to occur.
- Soft tissue adhesions and resulting restrictions are identified and broken down.
- Controlled microtrauma initiates a local inflammatory response that leads to the resorption of inappropriate fibrosis or excessive scar tissue.
- In chronic tendonopathies, doses of controlled microtrauma stimulate regeneration of the affected tendons.
- Existing collagen is remodeled and new collagen is influenced by a program of specific functional activities and stretching.