2018 Blackhawk Running Club - Welcome Letter
Welcome to the Blackhawk Running Club (BRC)! We are excited for the upcoming season and for your child(ren) to join our team! It is our goal to make this running season as fun as possible while instilling the values of hard work, teamwork, and sportsmanship in all of our runners.
- Races are run through grass, trails, dirt, fields, etc.
- Race distances are typically 1 mile for grades 4-6 and 1-1.8 miles for grades 7-8 .
- Runners typically compete with similar grade levels.
- We need a signed permission slip/registration form for each child that is participating. We will have the forms available on-line or we will e-mail the document(s) to you.
$40 - This fee covers the cost of a team t-shirt, meet entry fees, liability insurance through the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA), and our year-end banquet/award ceremony.
Paperwork and fees must be turned in by the end of the 2nd week of practice for your child(ren) to be eligible to participate in practice/meets.
What to bring/wear:
- We will run in all weather (except T-storms), so dress appropriately.
- If it is cold/cool, dress in layers (it is easier to cool down than warm up).
- Water/sports drink and a healthy snack for practices and meets.
- Running shoes.
- The official start date for grades 6-8: Tuesday, August 14 and for grades 4-5: Tuesday, August 21. Practices are typically held on Tuesdays and Thursdays UNLESS there is a meet on the day of a scheduled practice.
- Grades: 6-8 - Fort Atkinson Middle School
- Grades 4-5 - Luther Elementary School
- Family members are welcome to stay and watch OR run with us.
- Practices include dynamic warm-up, core strengthening, running, games, relay races, and cool-down.
- The total distance covered during some practices may add up to 2-3 miles.
We expect that all BRC athletes will participate fully during practices. And, BRC athletes must participate in a majority of practices to be invited to participate in the meets during the season. Runners who refuse to participate fully in practices or fail to promote a positive team atmosphere will be removed from the team.
Cross Country Meets:
- We typically participate in 7-8 meets in September and October.
- Meet locations might include: Janesville, Fort Atkinson, Edgerton, West Allis, and Cambridge.
- The lower grades (usually) run first.
What to bring (for meets):
A healthy snack, water/sports drink, running shoes, team shirt, positive attitude and competitive spirit!!
- We ask that parents drive their child(ren) to meets or carpool.
- We will provide you with directions and/or meet locations.
Year-End Party/Celebration: typically held the first Sunday after our final meet of the season (mid-Oct).
|2018 Blackhawk Running Club Schedule|
All practices are held at the Luther Elementary School soccer fields. Practice time(s): 3:30-4:30 p.m.
|Thursday, Aug 30||TBA||Camrock Invitational (Cambridge)
(grades 6-8/MS only)
|Thursday, Sept 13||TBA||Optimist Invite (Janesville)
|Tuesday, Sept 18||TBA||Oaklawn Academy (Edgerton)
(tentative - grades 6-8/MS only)
|Tuesday, Sept 25||TBA||Jefferson
(tentative - grades 6-8/MS only)
|Friday, Sept 28||TBA||St. Mary (Janesville)
|Thursday, Oct 4||TBA||St. William (Janesville)
|Thursday, Oct 11||TBA||St. Joe's (Fort Atkinson)
|Friday, Oct 12||TBA||Grade School Challenge (West Allis)
(top 8 boys and top 8 girls)
*The runners who are selected (by the BRC coaching staff) for the West Allis meet will qualify for this event based on the following criteria:
- Running performance throughout the season
- Attendance at practices
- # of years participating in BRC
- In the absence of exact criteria, projected performance at the 1.8 mile distance.
- Ultimate selection will be at the coaching staff's discretion.